Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Marine Aviator

I attended Naval Flight School in Pensacola, Florida and as a part of the training, landed jets on aircraft carriers. Graduation was in November of 1979. I flew the A-4M Sky Hawk in a Replacement Air Group (RAG) VMAT-102 in Yuma, AZ after training in Pensacola. My favorite ordnance load was 500 pound Snake-Eye bombs and napalm termed "Snake and Nape".

After graduation from the RAG, I flew the A-4M Sky Hawk in VMA-311 out of El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, California. We were the Tom Cat Squadron.
Although I did not fly in combat, we trained for Air to Ground and Air to Air missions using live ordnance such as 500 pound bombs, napalm, sidewinder missiles, and 2.75” high explosive (HE) and white phosphorous (Willie Pete) rockets. Even peacetime training can be hazardous when performing duties such as this in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Each pilot had a special call sign which was used in radio communication instead of their name. My call sign was Speedy. The Federal Aeronautics Association (FAA) speed limit below 10,000 feet is 250 knots. I got the call sign in flight school for exceeding this speed limit on a flight when I was late for a field carrier landing practice (My airspeed was about 350 knots down the beach). The picture above is of me in my A-4M at El Toro MCAS.
Serving my country as a pilot was a great privilege, and I am glad that I have had the opportunity to share some of my experiences with you.

No comments: